We think about law a lot. Sometimes we even write it down.

See all Entries

Posted on March 1st 2009 in Real Estate

Oh Those Noisy Neighbours!

Unless you live on a deserted island, you must learn to coexist with your neighbours. But if you do run up against a problem neighbour, the law may be able to provide some assistance.

“Neighbour law”, including pets, fences, junky looking yards and noise are generally dealt with by way of municipal bylaws.

In this edition of our newsletter we consider the issue of noise.

In the city of Toronto, Bylaw 111-2003 deals with noise. The bylaw, which defines noise as unwanted sound, states that no person shall make, cause or permit noise or vibration, at any time, which is likely to disturb the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or convenience of the inhabitants of the City.

The bylaw goes on to list a number of specific prohibitions. It also spells out time frames when certain power devices and equipment cannot be used, usually between the hours of 7 pm and 7 am.

In Toronto, if you are having a problem with a noisy neighbour, you should contact Municipal Standards at 416-338-0800 or the police.

If you live in another municipality you can get more information about noise from your municipal bylaw office. In addition, most municipalities make their bylaws available online.